The classic that everyone loves. Give it a go with fresh strawberries.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease and line the bases of 2 round 18cm sandwich tins.
- Cream together softened butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Beat the eggs, then gradually mix into the creamed butter and sugar. Fold in the sieved flour and baking powder using a silver spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface.
- Bake for about 20mins until golden and the cake springs back.
- Turn out onto rack and completely cool.
- To make the buttercream, beat together butter and icing sugar. Add seeds from 1 vanilla pod.
- Cream one sponge and use homemade jam on the other.
- Dust with icing sugar and decorate with strawberries on top.